Welcome to the 21st century when we wake up before the sun and return home after it sets. If we were fortunate enough to faithfully live the Paleo life, this would not be the case. However, we live in a world with an abundance of demands and stressors that leave us little time.
But let’s not let those daunting circumstances discourage us! We are Paleo warriors on a mission to lead healthy lives- so let’s do just that.
We will continue to do the best we can to plan ahead, but when we find ourselves in a bind, this recipe may be just the thing to help you overcome anything!
Last Tuesday, I woke up at 4:45, worked out, ate breakfast, charged through meetings, and finished off the last of my prepped meals before dinnertime.
This was less than ideal since I was going to spend 5-7pm at a local transitional housing facility, where I am participating in a community health outreach project. (More thoughts on this at the end of the blog- my experiences thus far have been life-changing).
So, I had a quick snack at 4:30 then headed off to join the other students and nurse practitioner on the project.
I got home around 7:15, completely hungry and without a clue about what to make for dinner. I opened the fridge, grateful to find the peppers and tomatoes that my Aunt Marcie gave me. (This woman harvested HUNDREDS of pounds of produce from her garden in York, PA. It was definitely a welcome blessing to this hungry Paleo college girl!).
There was also some kale and leftover turkey sausage on the shelf, so I decided to experiment… and was pleasantly surprised!
With a little help from my roommate Melissa’s ripened avocado, I was able to make an absolutely fabulous meal in less than 20 minutes that was still Paleo compliant AND delicious.
Here is what went down:
- one tsp (olive or avocado would do as well)
- 1 serving turkey sausage, sliced into medallions (actual amount depends on what brand of sausage you buy- I bought the Erlick turkey sausage)
- ½-3/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- ½ of a tomato, diced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ medium avocado, diced
- Chop or slice all the ingredients and enjoy the variety of color you’re about to enjoy!
- Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat, and then add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT for the avocado.
- “Stir Fry” the meat and veggies until the sausage is browned and the edges of the kale leaves get but brown/crispy. My peppers got a bit browned too because of the oil.
- Once finished cooking, dump the pan contents into a bowl or plate and add the diced avocado.
- If you want some more flavor, top this quick and easy dish with some Pico de Gallo!
Now let me explain briefly about the life-changing experiences I’ve been blessed to have as part of the community health project.
Though I cannot share with you any of the specific details, I want to emphasize one important thing.
Every story is different, but many good people find themselves in extremely unfortunate situations after a serious of very unlucky events.
Some of the most genuine people I’ve met were at this transitional facility. They have as much to teach me as I have to teach them.
I highly encourage any readers of this blog to take a step out of the comfort zone to volunteer, reach out, and give back.
There is no limit to what you can do. Be daring, be loving, be genuine.